I started to work on this blog from end of October, 2014. I wanted a blog site for a while, and I decide to start working on it from mid October, 2014.
First I want to GitHub page using Jekyll. I finsihed basic coding for website style (Header, Pages, etc). As I worked on it, I feel that a blog based on Jekyll needs more configuration work than I thought:
- Jekyll doesn’t have a build-in “Group By Catagory” function, make me had some hard time.
- I’m a beginner for Liquid so it also took me a while to get used to it.
- Some Jekyll plugins can not be fully supported by GitHub page
I was searching for other options at the same time, and Hexo really draw me attention:
- Hexo is based on Node.js, which is something that I really like :)
- Hexo has some theme to choose, and users are free to modify theme for themselves (as what I did).
- Hexo has good build-in function, such as group by catagories/tags, Disqus support.
I have written a few posts for Hexo development, and I’ll keep this topic updating while I’m improving this blog site:
hexo init is used when creating a new Hexo project, make sure do a
npm installfirst to install all necessary node modules. Otherwise browser will not be able to read ejs page.
After you edit style (i.e .styl file) in your theme, make sure do a
hexo clean before doing
hexo generate. This way will clean current content to make sure your style file is marked as genreate.